The 48th Annual Long Beach Island Beach Patrol Association Lifeguard Tournament was held on August 7 and 8, 2009.
Barnegat Light was the overall winner, taking the tournament from the defending two-time winners Surf City.
- Barnegat Light – 100 points
- Surf City – 74 points
- Long Beach Township – 63 points
- Ship Bottom – 53 points
- Harvey Cedars – 49 points
- Beach Haven – 43 points
The tournament was made up of numerous events spread over the two days, including (event – winner):
- Mile Row – Barnegat Light
- Women’s Paddle – Harvey Cedars
- Bouy Rescue – Surf City
- Paddle Relay – Ship Bottom
- Surf Boat Rescue – Surf City
- Iron Man Race – Barnegat Light
- Run, Swim Relay – Barnegat Light
- 1,000 foot Open Swim, Men – Barnegat Light
- 1,000 foot Open Swim, Women – Barnegat Light
- Paddle Rescue – Barnegat Light
- Line Race – Barnegat Light
- 1,500 foot Paddle Race – Barnegat Light
- Single Row – Long Beach Township
- 1,000 foot Doubles Row – Harvey Cedars
Now Barnegat Light sets themselves up to be the crew to beat next year. Surf City had a nice two year run before them and was in the lead after the first day of competition. Will next year find these two fighting for the top spot once again or will a new winner emerge? We will have to stay tuned for the 49th tournament.